Home > FAQ
What is a Building Certifier/Surveyor?

In Queensland, most building work is approved by Private Building Certifiers, also known as Building Surveyors. Building Certifiers/Surveyors are licensed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission and act as an alternative to the local Council, to approve building work when it is in accordance with the Council’s planning scheme and the relevant building codes.

Building Certifier – Level 1 – may perform building certifying functions for all classes of buildings and structures.

Building Certifier – Level 2 – may only perform building certifying functions on buildings and structures having a rise of no more than 3 storeys and a total floor area no more than 2000m2

Building Certifier – Level 3 – may only perform building certifying functions on class 1 and/or 10 buildings or structures.

What type of plans are needed?

Who can draw the plans?

How may sets of plans do I need?

When does QBCC Insurance Apply?

When is a QBCC Owner Builder permit required?

When is portable long service levy (Qleave) needed?

What about a spa with a lockable lid?

Does a pool or spa need approval?